|" They are true to their origins"|
Espirito Santo do Pinhal, a small country side city in Sao Paulo state, bordering with Minas Gerais in the north and is about 3 hours drive from São Paulo city. A harmonious old city with little over 40, 000 inhabitants and is profoundly called "Queen of mountains". This city is part "Serra da Mantiqueira" mountain chains. Pinhal is rich with agriculture like coffee, eucalyptus, oranges, fruits and industries. “Pinhal carnival” during the carnival season is well known in this region for its colorful costumes, bootylicious girls, processions and music. [http://www.pinhal.sp.gov.br/]. The name of the city is derived from the "Pine" tree (Pinhal).
Founded in 1849, historically it is the first place in Brazil where abolition of slavery was launched in 1888. A famous coffee hub, once coffee traders from Minas, Sao Paulo flooded and rose into limelight in Brazilian economy. The coffee plantations, manufacturing and marketing flourished which led to development of Pinhal and sprouting of new neighboring cities. Various coffee magnets thrived and coffee was exported (still) to various parts of the World with various labels. Some of the prominent coffee makers which are still in limelight are Irmãos Ribeiro, P&A, Sumatra…etc
The coffee has embarked new manufacturing industries which specialize in machinery which are exported to many parts of the world. Some of them are, Pinhalense (http://www.pinhalense.com.br/), Palini Alves (http://www.palinialves.com.br/)etc. Other industries includes textiles (HP clothings, Monte Vermon), cosmetics (Mabelini), timber and technology (Delphi).
Pinhal is rich with churches, with Matriz (church in the downtown) famous for its magnificent Basque architecture, is considered to be the biggest in this region of Sao Paulo. Father Augusto, leads the parish for over 2 decades.
City has its own police station and recently mounted a Bombeiros (Fire force service)
Some of the typical attractions are:
- Christ the Redentor - The proud epic statue of Christ
- Theatre (Theatro) - Plays drama, orchestras and other acts.
- Haras - A beautiful farm from Irmãos Ribeiro which specializes in horses
- Lots of farm houses (Chacaras)
- Clube Recreativo - Club which organizes various cultural activities and parties including the famous Pinhal Carnival.
- Caco Velho – Very huge recreational club with all sorts of facilities
- Clube de tiro – Club famous for shooting
- A variety of options for fishing.
- Matriz - Church in the downtown
- Two stadiums and Municipal swimming pool
- Santa Luzia Sanctuary
- Two big municipal lakes “ lago municipal"
- Many options of trekking and explorations.
Some of the recommended restaurants are:
- Celeiro Restaurante – in the country side which serves typical Brazilian food, surrounded by hills, court for horses and magical scenary
- Tonhecas - Famous for the hamburger and sandwitches
- Caco Velho – Recreational club
- Pousada fazenda Bartho – Beautiful farm house restaurant
- Restaurante Bassi, in the centre with decades of tradition.
- Fratellos Pizzaria – Famous Pizza restaurant
Some of the famous festivals are
- Festa do café - one of the biggest festival which happens every year during the month of october which attracts famous country singers across Brazil.
- Festa da santa luzia – Famous religious festival every year on 3 december
- Rodeio festival - Famous festival which attracts farmers, fairs, singers, recreations and food.
One of the gifted professional (Veterinary) is Regina Signori Felippe and she owns Sao Bernardo Pet shop.
For construction materials just drop by “Comercial Felippe”, is one of the oldest organizations with all types of construction materials. They also provide service in disposal of construction waste materials.
For alternative therapies "Harmonia do Ser" has been an iconic institution for over 5 years.
Pinhal is my second home town after Trivandrum (Kerala, India) because, my wife wrote her history in this divine land. She was born and brought up in this historical city and her family lives in a farm "Chacara Pinheiro" , behind the electricity sub-station, near the entrance of the city.
a) Bus (Onibus) - Santa Cruz - 3 hours from Terminal (Rodoviaria Portugese Tiete ) in Sao Paulo.
Ticket price - 40BRL
b) By car- From Sao Paulo city take Rodovia Anhanguera or Rodovia Banderantes, then take SP342. Follow the direction of Mogi Mirim, Mogi Guacu.
|Father Augusto, the chief priest of Pinhal|